Gardening.


This has been our first year venturing into the world of gardening. For much of my childhood and teen years I helped my grandma work in her garden, pulling those weeds one by one. 
I remember scooting along down long thin brown rows of moist soil and chatting it up with her. Asking about her generation and life questions I had, she never told me to be quiet even if I was annoying her. The times were so special to my heart, I didn’t have a mom so she was mine. She still is. She’s older now and doesn’t garden, at least not like she used to. So now it’s my turn I suppose to step up to that soil-on-the-pants, sweaty forehead stage in my life where gardening is my jam. 

So to speak.

I am embracing it with open dirty hands, stinky compost by my side! Year one, we haven’t had a lot of expectations really. Honestly our goal was to just not kill everything. You have to start somewhere! To our delight our garden has done amazing, a cup of blueberries here, some cucumbers there, a bunch of tomatoes, strawberries, onions, watermelon and corn coming in strong! We are just winging it, but you know what? It’s been so fun!

I have processed a lot of herbs now and have a list of more things to do as well! It is thrilling, and exhausting. A lot like parenting one might say!





Every day after I have my morning coffee I head out to water the garden. It is a joy of mine, and one I have to remind my husband of.

“Want me to set up the sprinkler” has been known to catch a very fast shocked glance from me, and finally he’s catching on. “Ok never mind.” And all is right.

Maybe it’s the time away from the house, away from hectic loud children, cats and two bunnies. Time to think. Time to pray. It’s my time, and gardening is my thing!

Do you have a garden? Does it bring you joy? I would love to hear from you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 mile backpacking trip!

Living slower.

Football. Fall.